Break out your crayons, coloured pencils, or felt markers! We want to see what you've got! We know everyone has their own artistic style and we want to see yours. Show us your true colours.
Each year, memories are made at the Hyack Festival International Parade and UpTown Street fest. While we may not be able to go ahead with them again this year, we want to encourage the youth of New Westminster to use their creativity and imagination! The Hyack Festival Association Parade Coloring Contest will do just that, engage creativity while making memories. Hyack is unable to put on a full parade this year due to Covid-19 restrictions. Our commitment to community events and entertainment is unable to fulfill the same expectations under current parameters.
Our proposal is to provide a coloring contest to the elementary schools of New Westminster. This coloring contest would begin on May 3rd and end May 14th. The design is provided by a local New Westminster artist and will be modeled after our Hyack Parade in New Westminster. Not only will this contest be fun, but each winner will receive a prize from Anny’s Dairy Bar.
Each participating school will have 6 prizes allotted for grades K – 5. A winner will be selected from each grade.
The contest will run from May 3rd – May 14th. The Hyack Festival will deliver packages of coloring sheets to interested SD40 elementary schools. The teachers who wish to participate can distribute the sheets to the students at any time during the contest. Entries must be collected or submitted before May 14th. Hyack will collect all completed entries at the participation school office, or they can be scanned (both sides) and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or dropped off to the Hyack Festival Association office by the participant.
Each coloring sheet will need a student name, school name, and parent contact listed on the back of the entry. The winner will be announced May 21st.
We are pleased to announce our winners for this year's Colouring Contest!
Here they are:
- Anya from Qayqayt (gr.5 Mr. Shaw’s class)
- Nova from Qayqayt (gr.5 Ms. Bothwell’s class)
- Emily from Qayqayt (gr.3 Ms. McGowen’s class)
- Harmony from Qayqayt (gr.3 Ms. Haffner’s class)
- Isabella from Qayqayt (gr.3 Ms. Tyers’s class)
- Richard from Lord Tweedsmuir (gr.2 Ms. Janz’s class)
- Juna from Lord Tweedsmuir (gr.2 Ms. Louvet’s class)
- Hansika from Lord Tweedsmuir (gr.1 Ms. Choi’s class)
- Alice from Lord Tweedsmuir (gr.3 Ms. Sproule’s class)
- Shilah from Lord Tweedsmuir (gr.4/5 Ms. Taylor’s class)
- Danica from Connaught (gr. 3 Ms. Jones class)
- Naila from Lord Tweedsmuir (gr. 1 Ms. Kumar’s class)
- Nevaeh from QMS (gr. 5 Mr. Ha’s class)
You can view their beautiful submissions below. Click to enlarge.